Turn signal, wipers, brights, [cruise control](/topics-cr...

Turn signal, wipers, brights, [cruise control](/topics-cruise-control/) don’t work. Car has no power source for interior lights or door locks or anything unless the key is on the run position and key phone won’t lock or unlock but...

Turn signal, wipers, brights, [cruise control](/topics-cruise-control/) don’t work. Car has no power source for interior lights or door locks or anything unless the key is on the run position and key phone won’t lock or unlock but panic works and unlock only works for driver door Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate? Consistent Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car? 2009 Dodge Charger 2.7 Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far? I checked all of the fuses. I noticed that the ignition fuse slot in the trunk has no “guts” and another fuse #30 has no power but fuse is good. I changed another fuse and it blows every time i insert it. Car is off while changing them Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? I installed LED taillights and a subwoofer with a built in amp.

Automotive Expert
Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* master tech of over 40 years in the trade. It is my pleasure to assist you with your vehicles problems. As I am not there to hear or see the vehicle I will need to ask questions to get a picture of what is happening so I can better help you, I also do not know your skill levels so do not be offended if they seem to basic. During this conversation you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. Did you have any of these issues before or right after you installed those items you mentioned?

After. Not immediately though
Automotive Expert
Just for the hell of it I would disconnect them one at a time to see if that fuse keeps blowing first.

Nothing happened

What now?I've been around cars my entire life. My family had owned a shop starting with my grandparents for 37 years now. My uncle is a professional drag racer with some world records etc. I'm no mechanic but I know my way around a car for the most part. Patience is what kept me away from it haha especially after I owned a jeep but the jeep was simple. This Charger is very complex compared to my jeep and Chevy Malibu before this. Especially the electrical system. I installed a after market radio could that have anything to do with it? I'll say that it wasn't easy to do like my other cars

Hello?
Automotive Expert
Well if by disconnecting the radio the fuse did not blow then if you hook it back up that would certainly give you reason to believe it may be that radio, either hooked up wrong or not compatible .

I noticed that when I turn my key that there is no power in the on positionEverything worked as it was supposed to for a few weeks after the radio install. Could the ignition switch effect the steering column module or switch? What are the chances both went out at the same time
Automotive Expert
As you describe this I believe we need a wiring diagram to chase this down which I do not have , so I will opt out in the hopes another expert may help you better. I wish you good luck.
Automotive Expert
Good Morning , I have attached the wiring diagrams i think you may need take a look at them and let me know if you need anything else . I also attached the body control module one just in case that is the problem

What are you recommending I do exactly?Look at the wiring? It’s insane to me that I have no power unless the key is in the start or on position. The key phone only half way works to unlock the driver door. If I manually lock it then I have to use the valet key to get in. The ignition fuse In the trunk is hallow I noticed so when I go to start the car it doesn’t read the first turn just the 2nd and then start
Automotive Expert
You need to first check power at the fuses for the those things. I believe this is all controlled by the body control module which is why i included that diagram to see if you are getting power going to it but not getting power going out of it

Inside the tipm?I had to replace my pcm not long ago after a injector shorted out and I was tight on cash so I pulled a compatible pcm from a 300 and had the vin programmed by a locksmith and everything has been fine other than I think I might of blown a head gasket in the process and even hydrolocked the motor but saved it.
Automotive Expert
That is very possible that the problem is the TIPM

It all started with the steering column componentsIf the switch is bad would that effect all of the other? I'm going to take it apart tomorrow probably and check it out. I was cautious due to the airbag but it's not as crazy as it sounds from what I sawThe ignition issue started after I installed LED [brake](/topics-brake-dodge/) lights a radio and a subwoofer. I'll say that this car is the most complex I've ever delt with out of all my cars especially the radio harness diagram. Part of me thinks maybe bad ground somewhere too but one step at a timeWhen I start my car and let it run I can hear what sounds like a power surge in a electric line or somethingIt comes and goes and it's not loud but not quite. I can hear it from in my house if there isn't much noise outside
Automotive Expert
I cant say how it happened , i can only recommend looking at at the diagram and checking for power where it says there should be power .

Do BCM's usually throw codes? I don't have one
Automotive Expert
they can have codes. Just depends where the problem. If it’s in a logic part of it they will always have codes if it’s in a power part not necessarily. That’s why you need to check power in and out of it

Is the BCM behind the glovebox?
Automotive Expert
let me check The TIPM is the BCM , it is the fuse box on the right side of the engine compartment that also has a computer in it

Oh okay I got ya. Underneath TIPM where all the connections are?
Automotive Expert
yup , its all built into one