Q: Clutch is soft

So, I've had to replace my master cylinder seal 2 years in a row due to the seal or gasket disintegrating. Knowing what to look for, it doesn't appear to be the case this year. It is, however, difficult to get my car into gear again. The difference, it's only like this in the morning. After I drive for a bit, the clutch is firm again and stays that way all day. When I get done with work, I still have zero issues. 1-5 gears have minor issues in the morning, but reverse is next to impossible without shutting the vehicle off. Wondering what is going on and how long I can honestly put off getting another expensive repair done. Thanks so much for your time and knowledge.

Hi there. There are a few issues that can cause this:

1. It sounds like you may have an issue with the clutch master cylinder again, or the slave cylinder may be binding. Both of these would have to be checked for movement.

2. Also, if the fluid in the transmission is very contaminated, it can cause the syncros to not mesh properly when the fluid is cold which can also cause this.

3. If all of this is fine, then you are probably looking at a bad clutch which will need to be replaced.

If you need to have your car looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your soft clutch issue.