Q: Grinding and not going into gear

asked by on February 26, 2016

My vehicle will not go into gear and it's making a grinding noise.

Grinding sound from transmission Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, it sounds like your automatic transmission needs to be checked. The first thing to check is the transmission fluid level. If the level is low it must be topped off and then checked to see if the transmission is brought back to normal operation. Now, if there was no problem with the transmission level, check the color of the fluid - it should be a red-pink color. If the fluid is black and smells burnt, then the transmission is in trouble. You state that it makes a grinding noise. There’s a good chance that some gears inside are failing and the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced. To have this inspected more closely, a certified mechanic will be able to diagnose the grinding noise in person to determine what repairs will be needed.