Q: Hello I have a 2001 Montero sport 3.0 that died and tries to start but won't acts like it's way out of time. Would a bad CPS cause this problem?

Hello I hàve a 2001 Montero sport 3.0 that died and tries to start but won't acts like it's way out of time , would a bad CPS caus

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. A crankshaft position sensor will cause the engine to not start if the sensor has failed. The crankshaft position sensor is designed to tell the ECM (computer) when the cylinder number one is at top dead center and ready for ignition. If the sensor has failed, then the ECM would have no idea where cylinder number one is. Check the sensor for a pulse input as the engine is cranking. If there is no pulse input, then the sensor has failed and needs replaced. If there is a pulse input, then the sensor is working and the camshaft position sensor may need replaced. If you need further assistance with your ignition timing, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.