Q: Engine starting to stall, surging, and poor gas milage. Misfiring

My engine starts to stall and then surges at any rmp or gear. It begins to stall and then surges at idle. Vehicle power it greatly reduced. Misfiring. Vehicle gets 11 mpg when it should be getting 19/20 mpg. Repairs Done: 1. Catylitic converter 2. O2 Sensor 3. Tune up with plugs, wires, cap and rotor

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement $104.59 - $809.88 Get a Quote

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a couple of issues going on here. There are a number of things that can cause poor fuel mileage. A faulty camshaft position sensor is one of them. The camshaft position sensor is a magnetic sensor that monitors camshaft speed to regulate ignition timing and fuel injection timing. It gathers and sends information about the car’s camshaft speed (and as a result the position of each piston) to the car’s electronic control module. This information is received by the computer, which then uses this data to further calculate the time of ignition and the timing of fuel injection required by the engine. When this is not working properly, you may experience a drop in power, poor idling, poor fuel mileage and problems starting the vehicle.

A clogged or dirty EGR valve may also cause poor fuel mileage. The EGR valve is a small component designed to allow the flow of exhaust gases into the intake manifold in controlled amounts. As such, it’s a simple valve that closes and opens as needed. The EGR valve has one single job to do, regardless of the system configuration, type of control and number of sensors: that is, to either open and direct exhaust gases into the combustion chamber, or to close and keep them from entering. Whenever you start the engine, the valve comes alive and waits in a closed position, blocking the flow of exhaust gases. Once the engine reaches operating temperature and speed increases, the valve, either through vacuum or electronic control will gradually open, allowing burned exhaust gases to enter and combine with the air-fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber. When the EGR valve is clogged or dirty, as they are prone to, it may not function properly causing the engine idle rough, stall at idle speeds, cause the car to get poor fuel mileage, or emit a strong smell of fuel due to excess hydrocarbons which also results in failing emissions tests. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.