Q: Does it matter which brand fuel pump I put in my 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500

Hello! The fuel pump recently went out on my 99 extended cab Chevy Silverado 1500 leaving me, my pregnant wife, and 2 year old son stranded in the heat over 70 miles from home!!! Now that I've got it home, I've been researching all these different replacement pump modules and Ive found some that are pretty cheap. But a guy at the parts store told me that my truck needed a very specific pump( a Delphi) because a cheaper pump wouldnt deliver the high pressure needed to force the fuel through the injectors on a 99 5.3 Vortec. I guess my question would be: does it matter which pump I use? I'm on a very tight budget and the Delphi pump is quite expensive so could I use a cheaper knock off version or is the guy at the parts store just trying to win salesman of the month at my expense? Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated, this has really been a thorn in my side. Thank you

The parts person was correct. The Delphi makes the original pump that manufacturer uses. You may use a different fuel pump if it puts out the same amount of pressure your fuel injection system needs. The system will not work if it is not getting enough pressure. The less expensive pump may or may not work as well as a Delphi pump. Make sure you put a new fuel filter in with the new pump. If you need some help wit the replacement of the fuel pump and filter, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can service the vehicle at your home.

3. Does it matter which brand fuel pump I put in my 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500