Q: Won't start 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Car will not start. Not making any noise when cranking up. Smelled like burned rubber when I opened the hood. Most probably alternator needs replacement.

Hi there - as you suspect, a failed alternator, or serpentine belt (which drives the alternator) or its tensioner, could have failed and caused the behavior you are now seeing. Even a loose belt due to a weak tensioner could cause a lack of battery charge, AND belt slippage - causing the burned rubber smell. You don’t mention any overheating symptoms, but this belt drives your water pump as well. I recommend a no start inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Won't start 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser