Q: Won't start 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Car will not start. Not making any noise when cranking up. Smelled like burned rubber when I opened the hood. Most probably alternator needs replacement.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - as you suspect, a failed alternator, or serpentine belt (which drives the alternator) or its tensioner, could have failed and caused the behavior you are now seeing. Even a loose belt due to a weak tensioner could cause a lack of battery charge, AND belt slippage - causing the burned rubber smell. You don’t mention any overheating symptoms, but this belt drives your water pump as well. I recommend a no start inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.