Q: Brakes hard to push or stuck in park.

We were parked facing down on an incline for about 2 hours (with e-brake on) and when we were about to leave and released the e-brake, we couldn't accelerate/decelerate or even roll when in Drive/Neutral/Reverse. The brake pedal was also hard to push down. We had to get it towed home (the wheels were still locked so they had to lift it) and tried again the following morning and the brake was still hard and wouldn't move, but a couple days later the car was running again. We drove it for a few miles okay, but the brake became slowly hard to push again, so we stopped driving it. The dealer is saying they need to replace the brake master cylinder kit for about $1300. I'm going to try another repair shop next, but wanted to get any additional input. Mahalo!

2010 GMC Terrain, 4cyl, SLT. 79600 miles.
Automatic transmission.

Hi there. Check the parking brake lever and cable. As the vehicle was on a hill and the parking brake was set, the cable could have gotten stuck or the parking brake assembly in the rear brakes could have failed and locked making the lever not return. Check the parking brake lever, cable, and the rear brakes and see if its working. For the service brake pedal being hard to push, there could be an issue with the brake booster with a vacuum leak. Remove and plug up the vacuum line to the brake booster and test drive the vehicle in a safe area. See if the symptoms are the same or get worse. If the symptoms are the same, then I recommend replacing the brake booster. If the symptoms get worse, then either the brake booster has a small vacuum leak and needs replaced or the master cylinder has a broken return spring jamming up inside the master cylinder. If you need further assistance with your brakes not working, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.