Q: Thumping sound from the right front end when I hit a pothole.

When I hit the slightest pothole while driving I hear thumping notes from the front end mainly the right side. What could be causing that?

Hey there, thanks for writing in. "Thumping" is often associated with flat spots on tires or tire belt defects but if such were the cause in your case the thumping would be continuous. You are indicating the noise is only occurring at times, that is when you hit a bump.

Consequently, likely causes are the strut is loose in the tower, the nut attaching the strut to the bearing plate is loose, the rubber bushing and/or the bearing in the strut mount is defective, or the shock absorber within the strut has failed.

If the cause is not found in that latter list, other suspension components on the right side are tested. If you have an assistant repeatedly push the right front corner of the car up and down, while you stand looking at the top of the strut mount, you might be able to visually detect the issue. Certainly, if that motion recreates the "thumping", it will be easy for the mechanic to pinpoint the source.

If you’d like to get this fixed, a mechanic from YourMechanic can come out and perform a diagnostic of the front end noise and from that give you a specific repair strategy and estimate. Best of luck.

3. Thumping sound from the right front end when I hit a pothole.