Losing power when I go up hills. lexus 2002 rx300 v6-3.0l

Q: Losing power when I go up hills.

When I hit the gas it doesn't want to go up hill rpm go up very high, but no power. Please help

Hi there. When the car is climbing hills and the engine RPM goes up, but is slow to accelerate, it is due to the transmission downshifting to a lower gear ratio. However in some cases, the lack of acceleration can be caused by a failing Catalytic Converter: A failing or clogged catalytic converter will prevent the proper amount of air from going into the engine. In most cases the vehicle will run hotter than normal, will accelerate slowly and feel like there is a loss of power. Issues with the catalytic converter tend to be fairly expensive repairs. There are multiple components that might be causing this issue, which is why it’s a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a car is slow to accelerate inspection.