Q: Noise when put into reverse

after my van sits and when i put it in reverse it makes a sound from transmission and when i put it in drive it makes a sound like some one has hit me from behind. what could that be?

Hello. Loud noises when putting the vehicle into gear can be caused by many things. A few common causes are worn transmission or motor mounts, low transmission fluid, or internal transmission issues. I would also check to make sure that the transmission fluid is at the proper level, and not excessively dirty or contaminated. The transmission operates using fluid to pressurize and lubricate the transmission’s inner workings, and can experience all sorts of noises and issues if the fluid runs low. Noises can also be caused by worn gears inside of the transmission, which becomes more likely if the fluid has run low. It may also be possible that the engine or transmission mounts are worn and need to be replaced. Excessively worn engine or transmission mounts may allow movement of the transmission or engine, which may result in a noise if either come into contact with the firewall, chassis, or another component. Similar symptoms can also be caused by faulty axles, if the constant velocity joints wear out and develop play. As noises can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose what may be causing your noise.

3. Noise when put into reverse