Q: There is a clunking sound coming from the rear of the car - 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier

My car rides rough on the street when hitting bumps. I think it may need shocks and or struts. It sounds like something is loose under the car with a clunking noise from the rear. I recently had the exhaust pipe fixed that had broken at the catalytic converter but the noise had been there before that. There is also a problem when stepping on the gas from a stop there is a loud roaring sound for a few seconds until the car accelerates. It's like it's struggling to accelerate but I don't hear the noise again until I start again after stopping at a light or stop sign.

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. The struts or shocks could be causing a rough ride, but the looseness under the vehicle is a suspension part that is loose. Check all of the suspension for any broken bolts or damaged bushings.

The problem with the accelerator is a transmission issue that is loading up the vehicle’s engine. It sounds like the torque converter has a stator issue and is not multiplying torque. If you need assistance with the vehicle’s suspension or transmission, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you determine the source of the clunking noise and perform an inspection of the suspension system.

3. There is a clunking sound coming from the rear of the car - 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier