Q: A large clunking noise is coming from the front left of my car anytime I start my car, and anytime I go over a pothole/speedbump

asked by on October 11, 2016

I have replaced the front motor mount since I have owned the car (2 years), but not the rear. Just this past week, I have had a major clunking noise coming from the front left of my car. When I look under my car, I cannot see anything due to there being a large sheet of metal covering the bottom of my car. It happens anytime I go over a speed bump or pot hole and is very loud. If someone heavier is in my car, it will not make a noise, but only when I am in it. My check engine light has not come on, so no mechanics will look at it unless I pay $200+. I am unsure if it is a motor mount, or something entirely different. The rear motor mount is more expensive to replace, so I don't want to change it if there is no need/it doesn't sound like it.

Hi, thanks for writing in. If simply starting your car causes a clunk, then you may have another damaged motor or transmission mount (there are 4 total). You should replace all 4 mounts. When one mount fails, it allows excess motion of the engine/transmission, damaging the other mounts as well. It is false economy, generally speaking, with the age and mileage of your Honda, to do them one at a time. If you would like help with these replacements, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform the engine mount replacements for you.