Q: My car isn't changing gears properly. 2006 Chevrolet Impala

My car was drive fine yesterday morning then around the afternoon. My car would stop changing gears properly and then at one point it won't change gears at all the rpms would go up but the car wouldn't move. I think it might be the transmission but I'm not sure.

Hello. I would check the transmission fluid level and condition on the dipstick. If it is low and/or has a burnt smell (transmission fluid should be a reddish color), then you may have a failed transmission. Changing the fluid and filter MIGHT help, but if it has gotten to the point of slipping as you describe, the transmission may need an overhaul. If you need help having this checked, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, can inspect the shifting problem and advise you on an appropriate repair.