Q: When you did this SRX was it the 4.6L? If so, did you have to pull the front grill, fan, radiator, and condenser?

Working on my '04 SRX v8 AWD to replace the alternator/ generator think the rectifier is going been having some issues, most I believe stemming from oil running down from the valve cover or timing cover on the top front of the left side. From what I've read most north star motors are prone to some type of leak or comsumption with over 100k mine has 196k. Gonna degrease the whole motor before reinstallation. Yesterday the alternator was smoking, burning off the oil, but that's why I think it's the rectifier, if it's bad and not converting DC to AC PROPERLY could cause it to get hot as all the accessories will not operate on DC VOLTAGE or at the very least, insufficient AC, I imagine causing the alternator to get hot and burn off the years of oil soaked in the windings and brushes.. This is the rub, I approached the removal three ways. From the top, disconnecting the radiator hose, from the bottom, and going through the left side wheel well, all to gain access to the needed bolts..

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. It seems that the rectifier has failed in the alternator or the diodes are burned in the alternator. This will cause the amperage to spike to the high A/C voltage and try to charge a direct current system. The wires will burn do to a high pressure of electricity.

Think of it this way, a large wire will be cold when connected to a battery and to an object with a large load, but a small wire connected to a battery and connected to a large load will get hot an burn.

If you are removing the engine, you will need to remove pull the front grill, fan, and radiator with condenser. The engine will not clear with these items in place without damaging them.

If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with the installation of the alternator. Best of luck.

3. When you did this SRX was it the 4.6L? If so, did you have to pull the front grill, fan, radiator, and condenser?