Q: Car lost power

asked by on February 16, 2016

I tried to push on gas pedal, and it lost power. The Check Engine light and oil light both came on. Now my car won't start.

Hello. Most of the time when this car suddenly stops like this it is because the timing belt broke. If it has never been replaced then this is very likely. It can also occur if the ASD relay failed or if the fuel pump is bad. I would typically start by scanning the computer for codes to see if anything comes up. If there is nothing in the computer then I would do a compression test. If the engine does not have compression, then the timing belt has broke or slipped. If it has compression then I would test the fuel pressure. At that point, I would know if this was a mechanical issue or if there was something electrical that was occurring. If you plan on having this diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your vehicle’s loss of power issue.