Loud clicking sound coming from where the serpentine belt...

Q: Loud clicking sound coming from where the serpentine belt is when car is running

asked by on June 25, 2017

Loud clicking sounds coming from the serpentine belt pulleys or engine when the car is running. Not sure what is wrong with it.

Hi there. In most cases, this type of clicking sound is caused by a belt that is slightly frayed and hitting a shield or other mechanical component. It’s also common for a worn out pulley or idler tension pulley to cause a clicking sound as the belt spins. If the sound increases as the vehicle RPM’s increase, then it’s likely with the belt or pulley itself. It would be a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car is making a noise inspection, so they can isolate the source of this noise and recommend the right replacement.