Q: Carbon canister making a loud hissing noise.

check engine light was on ( bank 1 system too lean p0171 )and someone suggest to change the carbon canister and now it's making a loud hissing noise. The old one made a low level hissing noise. How can I fix this? The canister is OEM purchased new.

Thx Shawn

Hi there. The loud hissing noise could be caused by a split vacuum hose or a loose hose. Follow the hiss to make sure it is the canister and not a separate hose. The code stored for the Check Engine Light would not be affected by a leak at the canister because it would have leaked to bank 1 and bank 2 setting a code for each. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a Check Engine Light inspection and can conduct a diagnostic on the hissing noise so that this can be addressed appropriately.

3. Carbon canister making a loud hissing noise.