Q: Not starting distributor spark

My GT 2.5L won’t start. It has no spark condition either. So I put in a new distributor. The cap, rotor, plugs and wires are all good. I put the Throttle Position Sensor at .51 volts with the ignition on but not running. The butterfly was almost closed. Fuel will come out of the hose at the fuel filter supply hose when the engine is cranked with the key. So I took out the distributor and left it hooked up. I also left the rotor on and grounded the body of the distributor. And with the ignition on I turned the distributor shaft. I got a spark from the ignition coil to the rotor when I turned it. But when the distributor is installed and the cap is in place I don’t get a spark. Do you know what’s going on with my car or have any ideas?

A: Hi there. You need to see if the distributo...

Hi there. You need to see if the distributor is turning when the engine is cranking. If not, then the vehicle has a broken timing belt. I would usually check the timing belt to see if it is intact. If not, then it needs to be replaced.

If that is fine and if the valve timing is fine, then it may be that the ignition secondary circuit has a failure keeping power from the distributor. If you want to have this tested, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting issue and perform the needed repairs.