Q: recall rear axle pinion nut

Had the recall done for rear axle pinion nut. This repair was done in 8/1/2016. Recently truck is make noise from rear of truck. When I took off the diff cover there was little to no gear oil in diff. Filled with new gear oil. Diff is still making noise I wanted to know if (1) this repair requires drain and fill of gear oil (2) if gear oil was not replaced to proper level would this cause the diff to make the noise. Thanks

Hello there, the recall for your 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 only covers adding a retention device to the rear differential pinion nut. This does not require draining the fluid from the differential or opening the rear cover. The differential fluid can become low for many reasons the most common being a leak from the differential cover, or axle seals leaking. If the fluid is extremely low in a differential it can damage the bearings and cause a noise. The best bet would be to have your differential inspected by a qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic which will inspect the rear differential condition.

3. recall rear axle pinion nut