Q: Electrical problems with the car that started suddenly

There are some electrical problems with my car that started happening suddenly, for no apparent reason.

It was running fine, but that evening, several features stopped functioning. The lights for the tachometer and speedometer stooped working on the dashboard. Also, the only way I could get the headlights to work on bright, was to hold the lever. Otherwise, they were very dim. Taillights quit working as well. Other than that, everything functions, including wipers, 4-way flashers and the brake lights. I checked the fuses on the dash under the driver's side and everything seems fine. What could be causing this and how can I fix it? Thank you in advance.

A: If all these problems started happening at ...

If all these problems started happening at the same time then you will have to get the engine control module (ECM) tested to see if it is causing the problems. The ECM controls all these lights using input from the light switches. The dash lights and headlights are all controlled by this module.

There are no technical bulletins for this problem and it is not a common failure, so only an inspection of the electrical system by a mechanic can diagnose the problem.