Q: Water in battery box also flows into electronics and computer

A few years ago I had to have the following replaced: carpeting, ABS computer, and wires. I have read that Smart corrected this problem in the 2009 models, but mine is a 2008. I have read that what occurred to my car is a common problem. Here is what happened: Water got into the battery box and filled it up. Then it flowed into the electronic bays and the computer in the floor of the car. The A/C system then plugged up with debris and/or the battery then rubbed against the drain line. These problems needed immediate attention for my car. I was told that once the water contaminates the systems, my car would be disabled and/or the anti-skid system would also fail, including more electronic controls. I have also learned that some dealerships charge multiple thousands for parts/labor. Now... the A/C water is again draining into the battery bay and the carpets are soaked. For now, I won’t use the air conditioner. Hopefully it hasn’t destroyed the electrical systems. This is truly a safety problem. Can you tell me if there is a way to fix this without spending thousands?

Hello. It is likely that you have an AC drain port that is restricted which will cause water to build up and overflow, or a drain port leaking before the water can properly exit. The AC produces water from the AC compressor and the evaporator core. The evaporator core is located in the center console and some experience leakage due to broken lines or worn gaskets. I suggest that you have a technician, such as a certified technician from YourMechanic, to pinpoint the source of the leak by checking your AC drain lines to ensure that they are letting fluid pass through them freely.