Q: Transmission valve body

asked by on December 23, 2016

My transmission was just rebuilt but its not shifting properly. Come to find out it has a 47RE valve body and my transmission is a 48RE. Will the 47RE valve body cause bad shifting?

The 48RE valve body is designed to flow more transmission fluid and build up pressure quicker than the 47RE. This is quite likely the reason you are experiencing shifting problems. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. If the valve body does not have sufficient volume to make this happen, you will experience erratic shifting as you describe. I would suggest replacing with the correct 48RE valve body to ensure proper shifting.