Q: My car doesn't start, have to hit dashboard and get jump for car to start

I have a Ford Escape 165,000 miles and my car won't crank. All the lights come on in the dashboard. In order to get my car to start I have to hit the dashboard. I went and had a diagnosis at autozone everything passed. What is causing this problem

I would start with testing your battery and alternator with a multi meter. Good batteries hold a charge of 12.6 volts or higher. If the battery is low, try to jump start it. If this starts your vehicle, test your alternator to ensure it is maintaining at least 14 volts. Alternators testing below 14 volts would likely be damaging to your battery. If jump starting doesn’t work, listen closely when you turn the key. Do you hear a single click? If so, then it is probably your starter. A quick diagnostic trick for your starter is to use a metal object, like a small hammer, and knock on your starter as someone turns the key. Most of the time, this will start your vehicle. If you need any further assistance, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your vehicle’s inability to start issue and make repairs.

• My car doesn't start, have to hit dashboard and get jump for car to start