Q: Where is the vehicle speed sensor located on a 2004 Golf GLS 4 door hatchback 2.0?

asked by on March 13, 2017

Where is the vehicle speed sensor located on a 2004 Golf GLS 4 door hatchback 2.0? I can't find the info anywhere to attempt to change it. Just a college kid trying to save a buck, thanks!

The vehicle speed sensor is mounted on the transaxle housing, usually on the differential. It can be very difficult to see and you will probably have to have the car well in the air to get to it. If by chance you are referring instead to the individual wheel ABS speed sensors those are located at each wheel position just inboard of the wheel (on the steering knuckles for instance). If you try to jack the car up, do NOT get under car without sturdy jack stands (safety stands) in place. Hydraulic jacks WILL fail without warning and when they fail you will get injured or killed. So, if you do not have jack stands (safety stands) don’t even think about attempting this repair (looking out for you). The other issue is you have to be sure there is actually something wrong with the sensor before replacing it. You should not replace the sensor without testing its function on an automotive scope (or oscilloscope). If you suspect a fault with the sensor, I suggest you request a speed sensor diagnostic/replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you and show you how to do it so that the next time around, for a comparable repair you will be prepared. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.