Q: Tension strut replacement

I was told that the upper control arm bushing on my car had a leak. The mechanic fixed it but advised me to have the tension strut replaced. The car has been running well and has no major problems. Do I need to get this part replaced as well? How complicated and costly is this repair?

Hello there, one of the commonly replaced parts on the 2009 BMW 535i is the hydraulic fluid filled bushings. These suspension components wear over time from absorbing the road shock. When the fluid filled bushings leak, it is important to replace them as soon as possible as the fluid is what is used to cushion and lubricate the bushing.

I can only make assumptions as to why the tension strut would need to be replaced. The front tension strut connects to the steering knuckle and to the front frame. If it was recommended to be replaced, the most likely cause is either because the bushing is worn or the ball joint has play. If you’d like a second opinion on this, a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect the front suspension tensioner strut and asses if it needs replacement or not.

3. Tension strut replacement