Q: An inconsistent starter motor that occasionally works perfectly now will not work. Then engine will not crank at all.

-got a second hand engine installed - car return in great working condition absolutely no issues started instantly. -never any prior issues with starting car, car started instantly 100% of the time prior to second hand engine install A day after receiving the car the started motor refused to work not cranking at all after working fine after driving it a few times. - the car worked post issues of not starting for my mechanic -mechanic now says it needs a new starter motor and is an issue totally foreign to The install of the new engine just days prior.

• is it possible for a starter motor to go from absolutly perfect working condition one day to failing to even making any sort of noise when turning the key or is there usually some sort of degeneration of the starter motor

Hi there. It is possible for the starter to fail. But before replacing the starter, make sure that the battery cables are tight and clean. Then check the starter relay and make sure that the relay is clicking. If the relay is not clicking, then check for power to the relay. If there is power to the relay but there is no click, then the starter relay would need to be replaced. If there is no power to the relay, then either the wiring from the relay to the ignition switch has a break in it or the ignition switch is failing. If there is power to the relay and power to the starter motor, then the starter motor needs replaced. If you need further assistance with your no start issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. An inconsistent starter motor that occasionally works perfectly now will not work. Then engine will not crank at all.