Q: Coil spring tower detached from the frame and steering quit

My car has 197,000 miles and recently it has developed a serious safety problem. It lost steering power. I took my car to the nearest auto repair shop for analysis because I didn’t feel safe driving it the distance to a dealership. I was told that the coil spring tower was detached from the frame and the repair would be in the thousands. I was also told that they had seen this problem many times with this make/model. They said it had to do with the type of steel that was used in manufacturing, the welds, and the unusual amount of metal fatigue and they said this was regardless of age of vehicle or mileage. Can you explain this to me and tell me if there is any alternative for a fix, other than replacing the coil spring tower?

Hello. I hate to say that this is a common problem, and there really is not alternative way of fixing it. When the top mount wears out, this will occur causing the steering to bind. The only way to fix it is by replacing it as a complete unit either with a new one or a used one. Since this is such a common problem on this make/model, try getting in touch with the local dealer for any information about recalls. If you would rather not have this done through the dealer, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the steering system and advise you on what should be done next.

3. Coil spring tower detached from the frame and steering quit