Q: Battery, alternator, fuses, cpu....

asked by on August 29, 2016

Cars electronics effect other electronic ops. Exp. Lights will dim while windows roll up down. If the airs running the idle rises, car will run sluggish. I thought a larger battery might b needed, but that's just ccamps. My alternator works great, over its rating ( or however that works, tested very well ) I can't think of why these things happen or how to push more electricity to the car. One of the things that this effects seems to be the braking and power steering. This worries me. As before it's mainly the air that drains the avl power. While on I can feel a difference in the steering, tho very slight, brake and the idle raises car under performs. Takes longer for gears to shift maybe... I can turn the air off and it all goes back to working perfect. How can I provide more power so I can run multiple functions at once? Thanks, J

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2013 Honda Accord. The conditions may be normal if you run too many accessories when at idle. First, have the alternator tested to see if it can put out the maximum amperage at the test RPM’s of 1500 or above. An alternator cannot put out its maximum amperage at idle up to about 1500 RPMs. If you are running the lights, A/C, and blower on higher speeds, and then the engine coolant fan comes on, this would exceed the alternator amperage and you would see some dimming effects at idle. Unless the alternator does not put out as specified, then there is no repair needed. If the problem worsens or becomes too bothersome, enlist the help of a trained professional to diagnose the electrical system in order to have this corrected.