Q: I have an engine code to replace the cylinder head temperature sensor. Do I also replace intake manifold gasket?

asked by on August 08, 2017

The temperature gauge on my dashboard stopped working. So I took it into the shop and they said the cylinder head temperature sensor needs to be replaced, but they also have to replace the intake manifold gasket. I wasn't sure about this, so I have been waiting for second opinions. Well today, the check engine light came on and I had a mechanic read the engine code, and it said that the cylinder head temperature sensor is failing. So seems like the shop was right. My question is, do I also need to replace the intake manifold gasket like the shop said? I had a Your Mechanic technician who has seen my car in the past, quote the service for about $300. This included about 2.5 hrs labor, CHT sensor and intake manifold gasket. When I tried to start a new quote, YourMechanic came up with a $120 fix, which included 1hr labor and the CHT sensor. I'm confused and could use some help. What do I need to do?

Hi Ebenezer. Thanks for writing in tonight to YourMechanic.com. I have forwarded your inquiry with our sales and service team to help streamline the process of receiving an accurate estimate to have one of our mobile mechanics replace the cylinder heat temperature sensor and intake manifold gasket. In regards to whether the gasket should be replaced, yes it should. When the temperature sensor is removed, it tends to damage the intake manifold gasket in the process, so by replacing the gasket, you’re able to ensure the seal is solid. One of our sales professionals will be contacting you soon.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr