Q: Acceleration issues and car dying

2002 Honda Accord 2.3L Started with bad Idling issues and when accelerating it would die. Took it to the shop they wanted $1400 to fix a few CEL codes. We couldn't afford this fix so we brought the car home. Starting with replacing spark plugs, wires, distributor, cap, rotor, IAC valve, MAP sensor, fuel pump, EGR valve I think a few other sensors as well. Now idles good but when you give it has it dies. Not drive able. Code reader says O2 sensor but we've been told that wouldn't cause this problem. Can't keep playing the guessing game at this point. We need help!! Any suggestions?

Hello. There are certain cases where an oxygen sensor can cause performance issues. It would depend on the specific trouble code. A few things I would look at are the specified oxygen sensor or circuit, the ignition coil, the ignition module, and the throttle position sensor.

These are all engine management components that can produce the symptoms you are experiencing if they fail. I would test each of these components to determine if they are in proper working order, or if any of them need to be replaced. Due to the fact that the entire engine management system is electrical in nature, these sorts of issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose. You’ve replaced many parts already, so you may want to consider having a another technician inspect the car for a second opinion. I would recommend having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the stalling issue and follow through with the correct repairs.