Q: Truck overheating coolant not cycling throughout engine. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado

asked by on August 26, 2016

Just put in a brand new water pump and thermostat. Over heating wasn't an issue before I replaced waterpump & thermostat. Prior my only issue was a leak from a wobbly waterpump pulley (no longer a problem).

Hey there, thanks for writing in. You need to make sure all the air was purged out of the cooling system. If you did not get at least 2 gallons of coolant mix in the engine, then you may have excess air in the system. Check that the cooling fan clutch is locking and radiator is getting hot - not just the engine. If the top radiator hose is cold and the engine is hot, then your new thermostat is stuck closed. If you need assistance with this, I recommend having all of these items checked for you in order to have the overheating issue diagnosed and repaired correctly.