Q: 1992 Acura Legend, when the timing belt goes, is it common for the valves to bend?

I brought my 1992 Acura legend to my mechanic because the timing belt went. He called me a week later saying that when the timing belt went it bent my valves. He also told me this is very common for this car. I'm just looking for a second opinion. This would be the second time the timing belt has gone and I don't remember the valves being bent when I had it replaced the last time 8 years ago. The car is low mileage for the year, only 153k miles for a 1992. It's not driven hard either. I already purchased the timing belt, seals, water pump, and thermostat. How much should I be looking at for more parts? How much should the labor run? Are there any standard parts I can purchase for the valve replacement?

If the timing belt break off, the engine’s pistons will hit the valves as the pistons are moving. The engine is an interference engine and can cause damage to the internals of the engine. The last time the belt came off, the engine may have been running at an idle or not under power. It is possible for the valves to be bent. What I recommend doing is performing a leak down test on the engine with a timing belt on the engine and properly timed to determine if the valves were in fact bent. If all of the cylinders have a 80 percent hold and not leaking, then the engine is fine. If there is a mass leak on a cylinder, then the piston did some internal damage. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you check your engine’s valve train with a leak down tester.

______________________________________________________

Billing and parts question was sent to CS for the cost of parts and labor for valve train and related parts from a broken timing belt for a 1992 Acura Legend with a V6-3.2L engine.