Q: air suspension

asked by on November 21, 2016

My one question is. The air compressor stopped powering on. Would the air compressor still attempt to turn on if the only issue was an air bag leak. Or could just that leak cause it to not power on?

Typically, to protect the air compressor motor from overheating, if there is a leak, after so much "run time" the compressor will be locked out. Obviously, the purpose of that control strategy is to prevent the compressor from being needlessly ruined and also to alert the operator of the need to repair the leak. However, the cycle usually re-starts with every key-switch. So, if you are not getting ANY compressor operation at all, every time you initially start the car, that could signify other faults, possibly with the compressor or control circuit. The system is fairly easy to troubleshoot. That is, the compressor operation can be checked independent of the control circuit and external gauges can be used to check for leaks in the system. If you desire that the system be checked out, and necessary repairs made, including maintenance of the air dryer, which is very important, please follow up with YourMechanic to schedule an air compressor diagnostic. If you have other concerns, by all means, please re-contact as well.