Q: Every 500 miles, 'check engine' light comes on and oil has to be added

My car was pre-owned. Around every 500 miles, the 'check engine' light comes on and I have to add oil at that time. The dealership can't find anything wrong, but I have to keep adding oil! What is your opinion about this kind of oil consumption?

A: Hello. It is common for this engine to <a h...

Hello. It is common for this engine to consume oil as it ages. Typically the oil consumption comes from the valve stem seals. The only way to repair it is with rebuilding the cylinder head. I usually will look into the PCV system first to make sure it is functioning right. If it is not, then it will consume oil. Most of the time though it requires that the head be rebuilt. If you need to have it further inspected for this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your oil consumption issue and let you know what can be done.