Thumping sound at 40 mph

Q: Thumping sound at 40 mph

asked by on October 23, 2017

Join Date: Oct 2017 Location: Los Angeles, California Posts: 1 Thanks: 0 Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts Thumping sound at 40-45 mph I could really use some help. I have taken my new car back to the dealer three times and their service department is useless. I have a 2017 Hyundai Tucson that is making a weird noise. Here's what I can tell you about the noise. --It sounds like it is coming from the front end, driver's side. -- It can happen when I hit 40-45 mph (but sometimes it doesn't happen at all). Originally I described the sound as popcorn popping. Slow at first and then faster. But sometimes it sounds like wind resistance. Flap...... flap..... flap-flap-flap-flap-flap. I'm sorry, but I can't tell you for certain if it's a thump or a flap or a pop. --It never happens at slow speeds. I have to be going 40 mph or faster. --Braking or turning has no effect on the sound, other than the sounds goes away when speed drops below 40. What can this be?

Many newer vehicles are equipped with covers on the bottom of the vehicle that are bolted on by several bolts. If any of these bolts have been removed this can cause part of the cover to become loose. If air is allowed to travel between the cover and the rest of the vehicle this can cause the loose portion of the cover to slap against the vehicle causing similar noises. I would recommend having your underbody checked for any bolts that may be missing from the covers.