Q: Truck is overheating, new turbo and alternator

I had my turbo replaced within the last month. I just replaced one of the alternators. After driving on the highway for about an hour, a winning sound kicks on(it sounds like a fan, bUT not sure). After about 30 minutes, the temp goes all the way up, and I pull over and let it cooldown. I check the coolant level, and it is in range (it was smoking or steaming when I removed the cap). I continue my trip, but keep it below 70mph to keep the strain down, and it does not overheat, but that fan sound stays on. I have to make the trip back on sunday, and its a 4 hour trip. Any ideas on what it can be to try to make it home to the mechanic to figure it out and keep the engine safe??

A: Make sure the coolant overflow tank is full...

Make sure the coolant overflow tank is full to the top. It is very common for these to develop cracks which will leak coolant at operating temperature when the pressure inside the system increases. From your explanation, I will assume the vehicle did reach overheating temperature. In this case, the engine coolant thermostat MUST be replaced along with any service done to the vehicle’s cooling system. Once overheated, the engine coolant thermostat will not operate properly and may cause the vehicle to overheat again even after another component has been replaced.