Q: Car stalled at 70 mph, SOS warning on

asked by on September 07, 2016

My car has gone close to 60,000 miles. Yesterday, I was driving on the highway and when I developed the speed to 70 mph, the car just stalled. The panel was showing the SOS warning light on at that point. I had to get the car towed as I wasn't able to restart it. Before I spend a lot of money on this, I need a piece of advice on what the cause might be. Do you have any ideas?

Hello. The purpose of the SOS button is to enable you to call BMW when there is a problem with the car or in the event of an emergency. It sounds like there is a problem with the transmission and this has caused the engine to shutdown to prevent any other damage to the transmission/engine. The transmission will need to be inspected for damage and/or a malfunction. If you want to have the car inspected, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling problem.