2008 honda civic lx won't shift into 5th or reverse? hond...

Q: 2008 honda civic lx won't shift into 5th or reverse?

asked by on July 24, 2017

With the car on or off it will not shift into 5th gear or reverse. What could cause this it just happened all of a sudden

This may suggest the transmission synchros may be wearing out. Your transmission has small gear synchronizer rings that help to move the transmission in and out of the various gears. When these begin to wear out, you may notice it hard to shift in and out of gears as you describe. You may also occasionally hear a bit of a grinding sound when trying to shift from gear to gear. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.