Q: My car has suddenly started wandering when shifting

asked by on December 20, 2016

Just today, my car started wandering all over the road as if it's in a high wind when it shifts out of first. AND I can feel it shifting back and forth to and from first and second rapidly when I try to accelerate. If I creep along in first, I can pretty well control it. It turns well.

Hi there:

In most cases, the symptoms you’re describing are caused by problems with tires, suspension components or the steering rack. When you shift into a different gear during acceleration, the suspension and tires must work together to ensure the transition is smooth and straight. When one or any of these parts are loose, worn out or damaged, it can cause the car to wander when you shift. The best way to begin the diagnosis of this problem is to have a professional mechanic complete an uneven tire wear inspection first. This will allow them to determine if the tires (the easiest and most affordable replacement) is the cause of your problems or if it’s something mechanical.