Q: 15 Amp back fuse

I replaced my 15 amp fuse with the label BACK under the dash fuse box about 15 times in the last couple of years. It controls the release switch for the gear shift and turn signal indicator. If I ignore it and use the gear release switch on the side panel the Check Engine light will come on and the engine will make loud noises in park and while stopped. Do you know what systems are controlled by this fuse? And why is this fuse blowing all of the time?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2000 Suzuki Esteem. The primary systems on that fuse are the back-up light switch and the transmission range sensor. As far as what’s causing it to blow, it could be an intermittently failing component, or it could be a wiring issue to either of those components above. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your electrical system in order to have the problem traced and repaired correctly.