Q: My SUV makes a groaning noise when shifting gears.

asked by on August 16, 2017

As I shift gears from Park to Reverse in the driveway, I hear a groaning noise as I lift my foot off the brake. But say I'm trying to pull into a parking spot: whenever I shift gears from Reverse to Drive or Drive to Reverse, the noise occurs before I lift my foot (as the car shifts gears). Could this be a brake or transmission problem?

Hi C.F. Theoretically, it could be both a brake or transmission problem. It could also be due to a wheel bearing wearing out. Typically a brake grinding issue will occur when the vehicle is slowing (in forward or reverse). The wheel bearing issue will make this type of noise upon acceleration and deceleration. A transmission grinding noise it typically not the transmission, but somewhere in the transfer case (when front wheel or 4WD) is active. Since there are so many variables to consider, you might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car is making a noise inspection to correctly diagnose the source of this noise and recommend the right repairs.