Q: Engine sounds loud when first started then quiets down. Should I be concerned? 2012 Dodge Ram

Sounds loud when first started. Then quiet's down.

Hi there - your symptoms suggest an oil supply or oil deliver issue when the engine is first started. Check the oil level first, then check to see what "weight" oil (i.e. 10W30) was used for the last oil change. In the current winter weather, oil that is too "heavy" is thicker in winter conditions (think molasses vs water as an example), and is harder for the oil pump to push into the tiny clearances in a modern engines. This leaves moving metal surfaces of the engine without oil pressure for a few seconds until pressurized oil can reach them. It also causes accelerated engine wear. If the proper oil level and weight oil is present, you might next look for oil sludging from "short trips, stop and go driving" present. I recommend a engine noise inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Engine sounds loud when first started then quiets down. Should I be concerned? 2012 Dodge Ram