How to tighten a serpentine belt ? tensioner 2002 drive b...

Q: How to tighten a serpentine belt ?

asked by on August 30, 2017

How to tighten a serpentine belt ?

Hello, thank you for writing in. You cannot tighten a serpentine belt. There are two considerations to make. One, is that the belt stretches out over time, and will end up being too long to function correctly. In this case, you need to replace it. Secondly, there is an automatic tensioner that keeps the belt tight on the pulley system. If the spring inside the tensioner has failed, it will not keep the belt on tight. Check the tensioner first by checking to see if it is bouncing while running, and checking to see if it is easy to push on while off. If so, replace it and the belt at the same time. If is it not, replace the belt. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.