Q: Why car want crank by key just clicks.

Put new starter on and now want crank by key. Now I can get under hood and crank it by jumping the starter

Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1142.70 Get a Quote

Hello, This suggests you may have a faulty starter solenoid or a weak battery. Generally, when it is a rapid or fast clicking sound, i is usually related to a weak or dead battery. A louder or more pronounced click usually means a faulty starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your starter.