Q: Battery voltage is low.

put new alternator in, now battery gauge went from like 16 to 9, also serpetine belt is NOT put on tightly charging system?

A: Hello. If the battery voltage reads low on...

Hello. If the battery voltage reads low on the gauge then that is a sign that the charging system is not functioning correctly. If the alternator is brand new then there is little chance that it is the source of the issue. More likely then that, is the loose belt. The alternator functions using the serpentine belt to turn the pulley and generate power. If the belt is loose then the pulley may not be turning properly, which could potentially be causing your low voltage reading. It may be possible that the belt is worn, that the tensioner is bad, or that the belt was routed incorrectly when it was installed. I would take a careful look at the drive belt system, and verify that it is routed correctly. If everything looks okay, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to (determine if it is the tensioner that needs to be replaced](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/drive-belt-tensioner-replacement) or if there is another issue present.