Q: Q: How to replace lower ball joints?

How to replace lower ball joints

Hi there. To replace the lower ball joints on a 2003 Ford Taurus, perform the following steps:

• (1). Raise up the vehicle and put it on jack stands
  • (2). Remove the tires that are associated with the ball joints that you are going to replace
  • (3). Remove the cotter pin to the lower ball joint, take the castle nut off, and lower the ball joint fall loose
  • (4). Remove the bolts to the inner rod on the lower control arm and remove the lower control arm
  • (5). Grind or chisel off the rivets from the lower control arm that hold the ball joint is place (3 rivets)
  • (6). Punch out the ball joint and bracket from the lower control arm.
  • (7). Install the new bracket and ball joint into the lower control arm and secure it with the bolts that it came with (put red loctite on the bolts)
  • (8). Install the lower control arm into the car with new bushings and install a new inner rod with new nuts and torque them to specs
  • (9). Push in the ball joint into the steering knuckle and install the castle nut
  • (10). Torque down the castle nut to where it’s tight and align up the hole (Do not back off the nut to align up the hole as it will damage the ball joint)
  • (11). Install a new cotter pin in the castle nut and make sure it is secure
  • (12). Put on the tire back on and torque the lug nuts to specs
  • (13). Raise up the vehicle and remove the jack stands and then lower the vehicle to the ground
  • (14). Test drive the vehicle in a short area for to make sure that there is no movement to the control arm

Once the new ball joint is installed, I recommend getting an alignment done on the vehicle to ensure that the vehicle will drive without pulling or scuffing up the tires. If you need further assistance with replacing the lower ball joints, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Q: How to replace lower ball joints?