Q: Knocking from front right tire after getting a flat and putting a new tire and rim on. 2003 Olds Alero

So the issues began thanksgiving night I couldn't really see driving home and hit a corner of a curb - hard - popped my tire and I changed it put the spare on got it home. & had to get a new rim which the only available was a steel one, but originally my tiers were all aluminum. The new tier and new steel rim are now on my front passenger side. (The other 3 are still aluminum) When I drove it withh the spare I heard a rubbing sound BUT found that the spare was a bit flat as well. Once the new tier is on I now hear a knocking as the wheel turns. Is his safe to drive ? And what am I possibly looking at for repairs now? I am a single mom so I can't dish out cash for people to look and disagnoase I am hopping to find a direction to point them in for repair. Or is it a simple change or wheel or tier ? Rotation or alignment ? Please help me

Hi there. Chances are the noise heard from the right front wheel is the result of the replacement rim and tire. This may not be safe to drive and should be corrected, before continued driving. If the rim is correct by application, double checking the lug nuts for proper tightness would be a good place to start. Something may have bent with the impact to the curb. Proper diagnoses should be performed to avoid unnecessary repairs. I recommend having your vehicle’s knocking as the wheel turns be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

Hello - I believe the knocking you are experiencing is a damaged right, front wheel bearing. This damage is a safety issue, and should be repaired as soon as possible. Do not drive on this any more than necessary. The repair will involve some disassembly of the suspension on that corner of the car, and will require an alignment afterward. Newer front-wheel drive cars like yours use a wheel bearing design that is sensitive to potholes and curbs. The curb impact you experienced damaged the surface the wheel bearing turns on, which causes a metallic knock with each revolution of the bearing. I recommend a wheel bearing replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and replace the wheel bearing. The car can then be driven to an alignment shop for a suspension alignment.

• Knocking from front right tire after getting a flat and putting a new tire and rim on. 2003 Olds Alero