Q: My 2006 Chevy trailblazer has the p0014 error code. Would replacing the CMP be the definite solution?

asked by on July 18, 2017

I have a 2006 Chevy trailblazer Lt 4.2. 144,000 Miles. got it from an older couple who couldn't get it started and didn't have the time to try. The husband explained that, when pulling into the driveway one day the power steering and power brakes stopped working but he eventually got it to stop. He brought a new computer for it though. When I received it I checked fuses, relays, battery, starter, and grounding. Battery was dead and starter bad. I replaced the starter, battery, oil, oil filter, and air filter this past week and car was able to crank and run fine...BUT, 2 days later check engine light comes on along with a dead smell from the engine. Car is still running fine though. Turns out a kitten got stuck between the fan and AC compressor. Removed the kitten but check engine is still on. the Error code p0014 is what it read. I want to make sure that replacing the camshaft position actuator selenoid will fix the problem or could it be deeper than that?

Hi there. Sorry to hear about the kitten. First off, P0014 is the OBD-II generic code that the engine control module (ECM) has determined that the bank 1 exhaust camshaft is more advanced than what the ECM has commanded it be. This over-advanced condition could be during advancing or retarding of the camshaft timing. In general, there are a few common sources of this error code, such as the camshaft phaser being seized, poor oil viscosity due to old engine oil, the oil control solenoid is damaged or the camshaft itself is out of balance. Due to these facts, we can’t say for certain that simply replacing the camshaft position actuator solenoid will resolve this problem completely.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr