Q: Dodge Ram pinion nut recall

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 and received the recall notice for the pinion nut possibly coming loose . I have a noise while accelerating at all speeds and a noise on decelerating from 20 to 30 mph. Could the pinion nut cause this ? I think it sounds like the pinion bearings are bad. Could a loose pinion nut cause bad bearings ? Also if it is a loose pinion that caused bad bearings or any other damage will that damage be repaired under the recall or will I have to pay out of pocket ?

Hi there. A loose pinion nut could definitely cause premature wear on the pinion bearing as there would not be sufficient preload on the bearing to maintain proper contact with the race. As for whether or not this would be a covered item due to the recall, I do not have an answer for that. The only people that could answer that would be the dealership. An inspection for the noise could provide a definitive answer as to whether or not the pinion nut is loose and was the cause of the bearing failure. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car has a noise inspection and provide an estimate and direction of repair.